Several bugs have been fixed. All PHP 7.0 users are encouraged to upgrade to this version.
For source downloads of PHP 7.0.17 please visit downloads page , Windows source and binaries can be found on windows.php.net/download/ . The list of changes is recorded in the ChangeLog.
PHP is a popular general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited to web development. It powers approximately 84 percent of the internet.
Fast, flexible and pragmatic, PHP powers everything from your blog to the most popular websites in the world.
– PHP 7 makes powering the web a whole lot better. PHP 7 is a revolution in the way we deliver applications that power everything from websites and mobile to enterprises and the cloud. This is the most important change for PHP since the release of PHP 5 in 2004, bringing explosive performance improvements, drastically reduced memory consumption, and a host of brand-new language features to make your apps soar.
– Thanks to the new Zend Engine 3.0, your apps see up to 2x faster performance and 50% better memory consumption, allowing you to serve more concurrent users without adding any hardware.
– To say the least, handling fatal and catchable fatal errors have never been an easy task for PHP coders. The new Engine Exceptions will allow you to replace these kind of errors with exceptions.
– 64-Bit Windows Systems Support. PHP is a prominent member of the LAMP stack which means its native environment is Linux – but it’s also possible to run it on a Windows system.
– New Spaceship and Null Coalescing Operators. The Spaceship operator runs under the official name of Combined Comparison Operator.
– Enables Accurate Type Declarations. Have you ever wanted to prevent unintended return values by declaring the return type of a function? Well, the new PHP 7 enables developers to enhance the quality of their code with the help of return type declarations.
– PHP 7 enables you to use anonymous classes, already a well-established practice in other object-oriented languages like C# and Java.
– The new Group Use Declarations feature will be godsent to those of you who want to import many classes from the same namespace.
– The goal of PHP 7 was to free up the space to enable improvement, so it was necessary to get rid of many deprecated functionalities and old and unsupported Server APIs and extensions.
WP Engine, the world’s leading WordPress digital experience platform, today announced it is making the PHP 7 environment available and an easy upgrade process for all existing and new customers. WP Engine conducted extensive testing to ensure that all of the company’s 60,000 customers have a path to adopt PHP 7, which offers dramatically improved website performance and a better overall experience for visitors to a site. This is part of the company’s promise to ensure its platform is enterprise grade and works at scale.
Specifically, leading benchmarks show WordPress sites can perform as much as two to three times faster versus prior versions. Additionally, PHP 7 can serve up to three times as many requests per second and handle more traffic with the same number of resources. With these performance benefits, PHP 7 can mean better SEO, conversion and customer retention on your site — all without adding any additional hardware or IT resources.
WP Engine has made numerous performance enhancements to its platform over the past year — especially to help customers prepare for greater performance. Notably, in July, the company announced the web’s first PHP Compatibility Checker plugin which was made freely available in order to test code conformance and evaluate site readiness for PHP 7 and bring the promise of serious performance gains to the WordPress community.
Learn more about WP Engine’s PHP 7 Compatibility Checker plugin
The WP Engine PHP Compatibility Checker can be used by any WordPress website on any web host to check PHP version compatibility.
This plugin will lint theme and plugin code inside your WordPress file system and give you back a report of compatibility issues for you to fix. Compatibility issues are categorized into errors and warnings and will list the file and line number of the offending code, as well as the info about why that line of code is incompatible with the chosen version of PHP. The plugin will also suggest updates to themes and plugins, as a new version may offer compatible code.